Biblical Christian Poly Living

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye *think* ye have eternal life ..."

Hello, we are a poly couple, She is a fallen away Roman, more of a Deist. I am Jewish. We both have been trying to understand our poly feelings. As I am the more religious one. We tend to follow the commandments. As for adultery, we both have had lovers and sometimes brought it to a 3some. As long as we are honest with each other, there is not cheating. We often talk about another wife, but it is hard finding another poly woman. We have one guy, a great friend, he has carte blanche to sex with my wife. He doesn't understand the poly thing.
I have found that the CHristians I know, as a general rule are hung up on monogamy. It is worse than the attitude to being gay. But really, how many of the patriarchs had more than one wife, often more were rewarded by G*d.

TheWind, you're married and Jewish. Your wife is a "fallen away Roman" so therefore a non-believer in the stories and rules of the Bible? So, she's got no conflict. But if you are a practicing Jew, you've got your Bible as well as all the complicated and conflicting rabbinical interpretations to deal with. Have you studied those?

Let's just see what Genesis says, for starters. El says in Genesis 1, the woman and man are one flesh, they should be fruitful and multiply. Yahweh (a different god, but conflated with El) tells Eve in Genesis 2, she shall desire her husband and he shall rule over her. That's about it. Each chapter, 1 and 2, says something different. It speaks poetically, and it doesn't say whether a man can have multiple wives, or a woman multiple husbands. Or lovers.

http://biblia.com/books/esv/Ge3.20

What do your rabbis say? They are supposedly inspired by "G-d". Do you believe that? Orthodox Jews believe all the rabbis were inspired by God and you need to follow their rulings. However, rabbis are recorded to disagree quite often... so now what?

It's pretty clear men thought "righteous" by the authors of the Bible were polygynists. However, there is no record of women being polyandrous. Women were the property of their husbands. If he allowed his property to take another husband, would that have been OK? The Bible doesn't say. The Bible just assumes a culture where men owned their wives. The Bible records men owning several wives and concubines. Solomon had hundreds.

How can you be a Jew or Christian male today and "rule over" your wife, who is your owned property? In the USA, no one person can own another. Therefore the law of the Bible and the law of our country conflict.

No women in the Bible had two or more husbands. Any extra male lovers or husbands would be considered taken in adultery. Therefore, the Bible is completely irrelevant to today's polyamory culture, where women are free persons.

Here is an essay on the subject which might further clarify things for Christians. It is irrelevant for the Jews, who have rabbinical rulings post Bible, and do not accept the New Testament as pertinent to their religion.

http://www.bibleresearch.org/articles/alw2.htm

Re: http://www.bibleresearch.org/articles/alw2.htm ... is highly on-topic for this thread, and takes poly matters as far as they can go based on the Bible. The Bible condones patriarchal polygyny, but remains silent on polyandry (except in Romans 7:1-4) and treats women as property.

Re: http://www.bibleresearch.org/articles/alw2.htm ... is highly on-topic for this thread, and takes poly matters as far as they can go based on the Bible. The Bible condones patriarchal polygyny, but remains silent on polyandry (except in Romans 7:1-4) and treats women as property.

Yep. The article cites about every verse that pertains to marriage found in the Bible. There is no mistake. If you are Jewish or Christian you can not practice polyandry and follow "God's" law.

You also can not divorce (except if the wife fornicates), so there's that as well.

Of course, later Jews and Christians have found all sorts of loopholes, because the rules in the Bible are extremely strict. Is that honest?

Because the you buy into the history that is spoon fed you from childhood. There is more to history than you have been taught.

Because the you buy into the history that is spoon fed you from childhood. There is more to history than you have been taught.

What do you mean?

I recommend that you fact all of your checks before you take on Magdlyn in this arena, especially if you're going to accuse her of having been spoon fed her history. You'll soon find out that she goes far beyond placidly having "been taught." Although how you could have read any of this forum section and missed that is beyond me.

Last edited:
Polyodium

This thread and every other attempt anyone has made to present their belief that Jesus is the Word of God and His command is that we love one another and learn to be the best of friends is met with anger and hatred.

Our spirit is the essence of who we are.

Being at peace with our own spirit and the spirits of others is what I thought we were trying to accomplish by being polyamorus.

Although it's good practice to learn to love my enemies it is hurting more than it is helping to openly attack anyone's spiritual beliefs.

I know that the underlying issues for all of us are the way we've been treated by the religious community that is all too often a wolf in sheep's clothing.

There are all sorts of wolves in sheep's clothing not just religious practitioners.

We all have a lot to learn when it comes to loving, understanding and comforting each other.

I don't think Wind or any of the others who are opening up about their spiritual concerns are proselytizing. I think they are looking for connection and friendship.

People who are full of hatred, anger and revenge don't make good lovers. No matter what they don't believe or profess to believe about Jesus.

I recommend that you fact all of your checks before you take on Magdlyn in this arena, especially if you're going to accuse her of having been spoon fed her history. You'll soon find out that she goes far beyond placidly having "been taught." Although how you could have read any of this forum section and missed that is beyond me.

Thanks Karen, but I wonder if he was using "you" as a general term and not aiming at me.

This thread and every other attempt anyone has made to present their belief that Jesus is the Word of God and His command is that we love one another and learn to be the best of friends is met with anger and hatred.

Show me where I am angry and full of hate. You'll find more hatred in the Bible than anywhere in my philosophy. I challenge you right now, Boston, to compare my hippy dippy poly laissez faire attitude to the xenophobia in both Testaments and find me less loving.

Our spirit is the essence of who we are.

Being at peace with our own spirit and the spirits of others is what I thought we were trying to accomplish by being polyamorus.

Sure, that could be one reason "we" do it. Another reason might be high sex drive or NRE addiction or love of having a big family, etc.

Although it's good practice to learn to love my enemies it is hurting more than it is helping to openly attack anyone's spiritual beliefs.

I know that the underlying issues for all of us are the way we've been treated by the religious community that is all too often a wolf in sheep's clothing.

My dear man, please stop trying to speak for anyone but yourself!

I enjoy historical criticism of the Bible. I enjoy exposing its idiosyncracies, it's a form of sport for me.

Your Bible is, as I see it, irrelevant to your religious beliefs and spiritual practices. Your God of Love is merely one aspect of your religion. And that's OK. Just don't be naive. Marcion, a gnostic of the 4th century (my memory is fuzzy but I think that was the century) recommended Christians throw out the entire Old Testament and most of the New, to be truly loving Christians. Much of the Bible is embarrassing! It's full of hatred for other nations, for women, for goddess worshippers. There are good parts, healthy parts, here and there. But most of it is a boy's tale of lust for blood, glory, loot and the rape of women.

I don't hate that. I'm not mad at it. It's an old book. I just point out it's not full of goodness and light. There are better books to read to be a loving, generous, poly person, that's all.

People who are full of hatred, anger and revenge don't make good lovers. No matter what they don't believe or profess to believe about Jesus.

I agree! I am full of love, joy and generosity, sexual desire, fun, creativity, humor. And I have lots of love in my life as a consequence.

I hope I'm not one of the people who supposedly buys into spoon-fed history, who is supposedly a wolf in sheep's clothing, or who is supposedly full of hatred, anger, and revenge. Let me know if I am.

Biblical Debate

Perhaps it would be best if we started a thread for Biblical Debate as opposed to people who believe in Christ wanting to exchange their experiences and learn from fellow believers.

I am speaking for myself when I take offense at any attack on spiritual beliefs.

If this thread had to do with being pagan and poly I would be just as protective of a pagan who was trying to get the input of fellow pagans who are poly.

Your or anyone else's understanding of the Bible is based on your own personal experiences and interpretation. And yes I agree the Bible is full of inconsistent concepts and hate. More than that I'm always appalled at how the Bible has been used to cause deep spiritual injuries.

Jesus concluded that we are His friends if we do what He commands, love one another.

Biblical debate has never turned me on.

The thought of connecting with someone who would be able to love a Christian who is poly does.

Punishment

I know I'm being punished for of all things looking to the polyamory community for sapiosexual gratification.

Instead I got what I've always deserved condemnation for my beliefs from Biblical experts along with eternal rejection.

Persecution Complex

Being boiled in a vat of oil by Pagan women while the onlookers search the Bible perplexed by what they're witnessing.

Who is this man who dreams about his love of Boston and wishes everyone could experience love in the Hub of the Universe?

Where many moons ago blankets lined the Common filled with lovers who wanted nothing more than to love and be loved only to be swept aside by marketers who made some of the worst mass produced tie dye shirts and Nehru jackets imaginable.

The enemy as it turns out is not sex it is materialism that reduces us to something less than the wonderful creations we are.

As the late great Rodney King said so poignantly, "can't we all just get along".

You ok Loveboston? You seem to have lost some marbles.

Boiled in oil by Pagan women? What the hell dude? Even as a metaphor, this is obnoxious.

Too many Christians confuse not being in the majority and not being the default with being persecuted. Plus the religion itself tends toward martyrdom which doesn't help. You're not being persecuted. You're being disagreed with.

Fear

I have lost more than a few marbles but the good news is I'm still able to pick up some new ones.

I'm getting ready to retire and my new project is to get over my fear of women enough to tell them when I've been hurt or wounded when in my own inept often feeble way I tell them I have always thought they are nice and extremely interesting not only to look at and touch but to converse with.

I learned some time ago that my brain doesn't work as well as the average female brain.

It might not seem this way to you but when I am told that I can't love Jesus because of His background it is entirely inconsistent with the premise of this forum and my rights to love whomever I choose to love, openly without fear of being assaulted.

I am very proud of the strides Massachusetts and the city of Boston have made to work towards harmony with a diverse population.

Every institution in the city is being challenged to do better.

I not only share the desire to do better as a citizen but as an individual who is devoted to the cause of Christ that we love one another as brothers and sisters.

I think my philosophy is sound. I think my ability to convey my thoughts and feelings in a loving, understandable way is where I fall short.

Any help or guidance you can offer that will allow me to grow and learn how to be a good poly to be kind to everyone is most welcome.

Sorry, it is a general term. Then they do everything to debunk all the alternative sources as quacks. This is particularly to with regard to religion. We have Christianity from the 3rd century, then revisions in the 11th Century. Sort of like the Egyptians. They would eradicate the legacy of a past pharaoh they did not like.
It has been taught that Joseph and Mary were poor and she was the only wife to an old Jew. But if you look at Jewish history and tradition, men are to be married. Men can have more than one wife. This is especially true if they are wealthy. Both Joseph and Mary were of the House of David, the royal family. They more than likely they were wealthy. Also, James the brother of Jesus, was older, Ergo another wife. As for polygamy, it was practiced in Europe by Jews until the 13th Century. Then the Chief Rabbi decreed that it stop until the end of the century. His reasons were to stem the amount of Christian harassment, for being different. The Sephardic Jews never stopped polygamy, especially in Yemen.
Now in Israel, it is monogamy, unless you come from Yemen, you can keep your wives, but your children can't have more than one wife.
As for Celts, we have Ceasar's portrayal of us as Barbarians. He had a vested interest in Celts being the bad guys. You have to dig through the stories to find the truth. And then it is just 'theory'

Sorry, it is a general term. Then they do everything to debunk all the alternative sources as quacks. This is particularly to with regard to religion.

Who are "they?" Any authority figure? A king, a pope? Who?

We have Christianity from the 3rd century, then revisions in the 11th Century. Sort of like the Egyptians. They would eradicate the legacy of a past pharaoh they did not like.

Actually Christianity was organized in the 4th century, when it was decided Jesus was the same as, not merely similar to, God. (Constantine paid off many bishops to get this agreement passed.) The canon of books contained in the Bible was not finalized until Revelation was finally included in the 15th century. In the fourth century, dozens of scriptures and Acts of the Apostles were declared heretical, unorthodox, and not worthy of recopying. Many were lost until a cache of them were discovered in the 20th century in Egypt.

It has been taught that Joseph and Mary were poor and she was the only wife to an old Jew. But if you look at Jewish history and tradition, men are to be married. Men can have more than one wife. This is especially true if they are wealthy. Both Joseph and Mary were of the House of David, the royal family. They more than likely they were wealthy.

Not necessarily. Not all people of royal blood are as wealthy as their distant cousin, the king. Israel at this time we ruled by Rome. The priests of the temple were Roman quislings. The temple was soon to be destroyed by Rome.

The Greek word used to describe Jesus' and his adoptive father Joseph's occupation was tekton. I have read discussions that this word can mean craftsman, architect or even scholar. Whatever the case, they weren't living in luxury.

Also, James the brother of Jesus, was older, Ergo another wife.

Another wife for whom?

As for polygamy, it was practiced in Europe by Jews until the 13th Century. Then the Chief Rabbi decreed that it stop until the end of the century. His reasons were to stem the amount of Christian harassment, for being different. The Sephardic Jews never stopped polygamy, especially in Yemen.
Now in Israel, it is monogamy, unless you come from Yemen, you can keep your wives, but your children can't have more than one wife.

OK, we have already established it is legal, or was legal, for Jews to have more than one wife. I thought the question was whether a woman could have more than one husband. The answer is, no.

As for Celts, we have Ceasar's portrayal of us as Barbarians. He had a vested interest in Celts being the bad guys. You have to dig through the stories to find the truth. And then it is just 'theory'

I still do not know how you can "serve 2 masters." If you honor Celtic gods you are directly opposed to the commandment of Yahweh to have no other gods/goddesses before him (or indeed as well as him).

Back