LSB Weight Loss Daily Goals and Accomplishments

Well, the weather thwarted my plans to go to the gym for Barre on Saturday (freezing rain here, a number a fatal accidents in the city, no reason to risk it unless absolutely necessary). I did stay home and have some fairly "cardio" sex with Dude however :p!

A few more medical articles came out blasting "keto" as a healthy diet choice - I should at least get my cholesterol checked again (I know my BP is coming down as I lose weight). If my cholesterol is going up instead of down I may need to shift to my backup plan - intermittent fasting + Paleo.

Cardio sex, yay :)

I know, right!??!:rolleyes:

I did make it to the gym today for a "Total Body Sculpting" class - a lot of it was similar to Barre but with nothing to hold onto (I went and used the window frame - I have horrible balance and am afraid of my kneecaps popping out!)

I was afraid that I had been gone for long enough over the holidays that it would be like starting all over again. From a post of mine earlier in this thread:
... I was certainly the slowest and fattest person there (but not the oldest by any stretch). But I sweated through the hour, I modified where I could, but basically just did my sweaty sloppy best, rested when I had to and chugged water. I used to be embarrassed in a situation like that, but now I am pretty good at telling myself that I am probably getting more out of my workout than the people who make it look easy. I know from personal experience that in a few weeks I will notice a significant improvement in my strength and endurance (and, even though I will still be sweaty and clumsy, I may be slightly less fat).

I was pleased to find that while I am still the slowest (I can't move that fast, so I concentrate on form - not so sloppy now) that the strength that I gained is still under there. More motivation to press on!

Per doctors orders: reduce sugar and carbs. My fasting blood sugar level is officially pre-diabetic. It has been borderline for a few years, so this is not a huge surprise but I have worked at being sugar conscious.

I would love to say the lbs are melting off but they are reducing slowly. I am seriously only 4lbs away from being on the lean side so WTF? Too many of my calories have been lovely sugar. Now I am adding "good fat" and cutting my lovely carbs. Fare-thee-well potatoes and bread. :(

The stomach cramps are not good. I googled "keto" because I am doing what is similar to keto and stomach cramps are apparently a thing. More salt and water. I drink bucket loads of water. I am not impressed. I work out, walk, have been mostly the same weight for years and now my middle-age body has decided to become insulin resistant. Argh.

I am back under the decade and actually working to eat enough fat!

Cardio sex lmao!! What I recommend you beside this to try some supplements (protein, post and before workout supplements), they helped me lose a lot of weight and gain muscle. I was eating like a pig before and I never thought anything could help me stick to my diet. I personally didn't try the keto diet...I looked through some articles, I saw someone say it does wonders, so it might work indeed. Anyway, what helped me was calorie deficit. You eat whatever you want, but in moderation. You don't walk on proven peptides anymore!! You're free of guilt while burning lots of calories :D And I think it's healthier to burn more calories than you eat...no diet can equalize this lol

Cardio sex lmao!! What I recommend you beside this to try some supplements (protein, post and before workout supplements), they helped me lose a lot of weight and gain muscle. I was eating like a pig before and I never thought anything could help me stick to my diet. I personally didn't try the keto diet...I looked through some articles, I saw someone say it does wonders, so it might work indeed. Anyway, what helped me was calorie deficit. You eat whatever you want, but in moderation. You don't walk on proven peptides anymore!! You're free of guilt while burning lots of calories :D And I think it's healthier to burn more calories than you eat...no diet can equalize this lol
I stick with the cardio sex hahahaha

OMG, damn adverts.

Honestly, this year I lost about 5kg during our "lockdown/shelter in place" time here in NZ because I simply didn't feel the need to eat like I do when I have to interact with people every day. I'm beginning to suspect I'm much more introverted that I ever have been before. I was happy eating a couple of mandarins and a muesli bar during the day, then a light dinner. And no alcohol (because let's face it, that's where most of my calories are).

When lockdown lifted, I went back to the gym. Well, actually I went back to the gym because the bathroom here was being renovated and I had nowhere else to shower in the morning except the gym. But I'm glad I went. I still go most mornings. But I'm eating much more now I'm back at work, and drinking far too much alcohol for weight loss (November has been bad for this). But I lost another 5 kg give or take in the last 4 months - just not since November...

I've actually put a kilogram on in the last month, but I'm not berating myself too much. I'm a lot stronger than I was and my heart health probably hasn't been this good since I was 20. I'm also working on the other aspects of fitness, specifically balance and flexibility. I'm not sure I'll ever really be particularly flexible in my legs as I didn't get any physical treatment (other than essential hospital care - I was in for about 4 hours, enough for an xray and urine test to check for internal bleeding - nope, none) after a motorcycle accident because I didn't understand how our public accident insurance worked and thought I'd have to pay for it (and no, we don't sue in my country.) Now I know it would have been completely free. But currently I'm working on my hips because I have a different injury that I'm trying to resolve.

Last year, I hurt my back and then sprained my ankle really badly so my Word of the Year (alternative to a New Year's Resolution) became "Heal" - this, I have done, finally, because the pain in my back that often left me screaming when I stood up, has gone thanks to a wonderful chiropractor I saw a couple of times in late Sept/early Oct. He prodded some very tense muscles each time, and then told me to sit cross legged "legg-ed" (criss-cross applesauce I believe some of you know it as). I hadn't done that since I was a kid and my god did it quickly heal the issue. I will never go to physio-therapy again (physical-therapy).

But back to the point of this. I've lost about 9kg this year (20 pounds). I've technically got another 9 to go to keep my insurance company happy with a bmi thing, but I'm good. I'm wearing clothes I like again. I'm 5'9" and 83kg. Yes, we use a combination of measurements here lol. I hope next year I can report that I'm back under the 80kg mark. I'd like that.

OMG, damn adverts.

Honestly, this year I lost about 5kg during our "lockdown/shelter in place" time here in NZ because I simply didn't feel the need to eat like I do when I have to interact with people every day. I'm beginning to suspect I'm much more introverted that I ever have been before. I was happy eating a couple of mandarins and a muesli bar during the day, then a light dinner. And no alcohol (because let's face it, that's where most of my calories are).

When lockdown lifted, I went back to the gym. Well, actually I went back to the gym because the bathroom here was being renovated and I had nowhere else to shower in the morning except the gym. But I'm glad I went. I still go most mornings. But I'm eating much more now I'm back at work, and drinking far too much alcohol for weight loss (November has been bad for this). But I lost another 5 kg give or take in the last 4 months - just not since November...

I've actually put a kilogram on in the last month, but I'm not berating myself too much. I'm a lot stronger than I was and my heart health probably hasn't been this good since I was 20. I'm also working on the other aspects of fitness, specifically balance and flexibility. I'm not sure I'll ever really be particularly flexible in my legs as I didn't get any physical treatment (other than essential hospital care - I was in for about 4 hours, enough for an xray and urine test to check for internal bleeding - nope, none) after a motorcycle accident because I didn't understand how our public accident insurance worked and thought I'd have to pay for it (and no, we don't sue in my country.) Now I know it would have been completely free. But currently I'm working on my hips because I have a different injury that I'm trying to resolve.

Last year, I hurt my back and then sprained my ankle really badly so my Word of the Year (alternative to a New Year's Resolution) became "Heal" - this, I have done, finally, because the pain in my back that often left me screaming when I stood up, has gone thanks to a wonderful chiropractor I saw a couple of times in late Sept/early Oct. He prodded some very tense muscles each time, and then told me to sit cross legged "legg-ed" (criss-cross applesauce I believe some of you know it as). I hadn't done that since I was a kid and my god did it quickly heal the issue. I will never go to physio-therapy again (physical-therapy).

But back to the point of this. I've lost about 9kg this year (20 pounds). I've technically got another 9 to go to keep my insurance company happy with a bmi thing, but I'm good. I'm wearing clothes I like again. I'm 5'9" and 83kg. Yes, we use a combination of measurements here lol. I hope next year I can report that I'm back under the 80kg mark. I'd like that.
83 kg = 183 pounds (as we do it in the US). 80 kg is 176.3. A weight chart I'm looking at says a 5'9" woman should weigh 131-160 lbs. That is 72.5 kg, max. But life isn't perfect!

I have a bad relationship with food, and I have all my life. My mom was a yo-yo dieter and I emotionally inherited a complicated relationship with food.

I basically used to starve myself in my teens and twenties to be 5'6.5" and 132 lbs, from age 12-30. Then I got pregnant for the first time and all hell broke loose. I never saw the 130s again. I did manage to get down to 145 after my first birth, but each time my weight post partum was higher. It was so hard to get enough sleep, to eat mindfully, and to exercise. I just had so little time to myself. Also, my mother never served desserts, but my ex h loved sweets and I got into the habit of eating dessert almost every night.

I had a couple of periods where I managed to get in a good routine of diet and exercise, once the kids got older. And of course, my youngest has been out of the nest now for about 8 years. But my weight increased for various reasons, various stressors. I know I am an emotional eater.

Oddly, my higher than healthy weight wasn't a deterrent when I was dating. Many men who asked me out either didn't care what size a woman was, or actually preferred a curvier-shaped woman. Pixi loves me no matter what, and tells me I'm beautiful all the time. But it's gotten to be too much for me. I have had some health issues that are linked to my weight.

I was swimming, doing water exercise classes as my favorite form of exercise, on and off, for years. Unfortunately, the stress of swimming has caused me shoulder pain in the last couple of years, and I recently had X-rays to tell me that I have bone spurs in my left shoulder, and beginning stages of osteoarthritis! Yay.

For most of this year, my gym with the pool has been closed anyway. I like to walk, but it was stressful on my old knees. I've been doing it anyway since August. At first I could only do 15-30 minutes, 3x a week. Now I do 30 minutes 6 days a week and 15 minutes on my "active rest day." And I am able to be more active around the house in general now.

More difficult has been my diet, but I am working hard at it. I have cut out all added sugar, and all white flour and most pasta. No more cakes, cookies, ice cream. I understand nutrition and I am applying my knowledge.

I'm not really into drinking alcohol or smoking weed much these days, so I don't get many calories from the booze, and I don't get the munchies from either.

I've been watching lots of weight loss experts on YouTube for inspiration. I learned about intermittent fasting and started doing that. I only eat between 12 noon and 8 pm. That works well for me, because my downfall was eating dessert after 8 pm, while watching TV.

My new practices are becoming new habits, and I am down 22 lbs since August. I have a long way to go, but I feel a lot better already, and I have gone down a size in clothing. :)

Last time I was 72.5 kg was when I was 33. My ribs showed quite a lot and although that rather amused me, I could claim that it was healthy. I was actually at 17% body fat and weighed 77kg when I was 32. That was more like it 😊

I can't quite find the motivation to be quite that strict on the types of foods I eat now in order to drop my body fat percentage that low, I think I've set up a slightly healthier relationship to food this time.

Except the pizza I had for dinner tonight 😅

I think weight charts can be unrealistic. When I was 132, in the middle of what is expected for 5'7," my ribs and hipbones stuck out, and I had no boobs. I was literally a AA cup. After I got pregnant, I seemingly completed puberty and went up to a D cup, and never went back! That's a couple pounds right there, lol.

Weight is just one measure. Muscle weighs more than fat. You can weigh more, and look fitter, at the same weight, if you've got some muscle tone. Also, an over-consumption of carbs does increase water retention. I've found that happening in my current journey, where my weight plateaus, and yet my measurements change.

Last time I was 72.5 kg was when I was 33. My ribs showed quite a lot and although that rather amused me, I could claim that it was healthy.
Ugh...
*I couldn't claim that it was healthy.

Damn typos.

And yeah, I'd rather be strong, and flexible, and heart healthy, and etc than just skinny. I'd like to drop one more dress size, but I'm really going to have to be quite restrictive about what I'm consuming to do so, and I'm just not in that head space quite now.

Necro-ing this thread for an update.

My last post in this thread was in January 2020...I had been doing Keto and exercising and had made it from 171# (*BMI = 30.8, clinically OBESE) down to (at least) 138# (BMI= 24.8, higher end normal weight) - WOOT!!!

And then COVID happened...
And then Dude went nuclear...(see blog for story)

And THEN - I gained it ALL back - PLUS FIVE MORE FUCKING pounds!!!

Goddamn Fucking Shit!!!

So I hit 176#, at 5 foot 2.5 inches, and every day some (well-meaning) person would ask when the baby was due. (Grrrrr....But thank you that you think I look young enough to have a baby at 46) But I felt it, my clothes were uncomfortable, my knees were complaining, I didn't want to go to the gym because I looked terrible and felt worse when exercising.

Shortly after that the FDA approved the first GLP-1 RA (Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist) for weight loss (as opposed to Diabetes, its original indication). And I was like - Fuck IT! I tried! I did it, and now I am back here again...so I decided to try the medicine.

I was ashamed for "cheating", for needing a "crutch" (medicine), to help me discipline myself to stop overeating, so I was initially reluctant to tell people - BUT SHIT, losing weight is really HARD. It's not just a matter of "will-power" but genetics, resources, age, stress, time, economics, etc. And I realized that I was seeing the diagnosis of obesity in the same light that so many people (wrongly) view mental illness, as a "weakness". FUCK THAT!

So I took the medicine - and lost 58# - from 176# (BMI = 31.7) down to 118# (BMI = 21.2). Now I am back at the gym - Monday and Tuesday yoga, Wednesday Mat Pilates (still haven't managed the weekends) - and toning muscle. My knees don't hurt and I look pretty damn good! (People who have known me for a long time say that I look younger - because this is the size that I was when I finished grad school and took my current position - 23 years ago.) Once I hit my "goal weight" (which was 121#) I backed down on the dose. I was going to try weaning down further but when I tried I got the "hungry" back (Duh. I don't know why that surprised me - but apparently the "stomach shrinking" thing isn't as potent as I would have liked.) And then I told myself, "If I was on this med for Diabetes - its original indication - and had achieved my target a1C - would I want to stop the medicine? NO! - because it is WORKING!!!"

Anyway, this probably sounds like a late-night infomercial for a miracle weight loss supplement - in truth, the other people that I know that have taken these meds have lost weight and been satisfied but didn't have the same % results that I did. I attribute it to a number of factors - a.) I had a high metabolism and was skinny to normal weight until I was 35. (From 35 to 48 I put on a steady 5#/year). b.) My overeating is ONLY related to feeling the "hungry" - in which case I would ieat the doorframe if I could bite chunk of it off! I don't eat for comfort. I don't eat because I am bored/sad/lonly. I don't eat because it is THERE. I don't ever crave sweets, ice cream, or chocolate. But I am no good at "hungry". c.)I had recently done it the "hard way" and KNEW that cutting calories and hitting the gym worked - so I had confidence that it was at least possible.

So that is my (new) story...

JaneQ("Skinny-Again")Smythe

*To interpret the BMI (a VERY rough estimate of healthy weight that ONLY takes Height and Weight into consideration - NOT gender, body type, muscle mass vs. fat, etc.
Obesity = 30 or higher
Overweight = 26-29.9
Underweight = less than 18.5
NORMAL = 18.5-25.9
- I have a small frame and am NOT curvy, so was aiming for the lower end of the range.

Last edited:
Hey Jane- I just started the diabetes version of that same medication! Covid really messed up my weight loss plans too. I just took my third dose yesterday and down 5.4lbs already.
It's going to be a while- I regained all that I'd lost and then some too. But the whole not dying thing sounds good, so I'm going to go with it and hopefully get healthier.

You two are talking about Ozempic, I think. I have heard great things about it.

You two are talking about Ozempic, I think. I have heard great things about it.
I think Jane is talking about wegovy, which is the same drug but for non diabetics.

But yes I'm taking Ozempic now. Fortunately I'm not having many of the side effects that have been written about. The occasional very mild headache and that's about it. My blood pressure is down, I've losing above the normal average amount, and my fasting blood sugar is down in the mornings too.

I don't like the needles but it is what it is.

Well, I'm here and I'll post an update!

I have a doctor's appointment today and I think she's going to be very happy. I'm at 45lbs lost total since my diabetes diagnosis, 18.2lbs since I started Ozempic in mid November. My A1C is down from 7.0 in March 2022 to 6.4 on my own, to now 5.5 after 2 1/2 months of Ozempic!

Side effects are still manageable. I'm really happy with how this is going so far!

I'm glad to hear this. Very interesting! You must be feeling so much better. :)

Update after 18 weeks on Ozempic- 35.6lbs down, 62.6lbs total including what I took off before I started Ozempic. It's actually coming off a bit faster than I'd like because I don't want to have health issues as a result so I'm going to try and up my calories a bit. I've been working quite a lot of exercise into my week so I think I need to make sure I'm eating enough for that too.

I've got a ways yet to go though and that's OK. Gained quite a lot during the pandemic sadly.

I actually just decided to sign up for HealthyWage since I think that it's going to be a no brainer that I'd lose 30lbs in 8 months. That's less than one pound per week! Anyone tried it before?
I'm excited- I'll win $1100 if I succeed.

Update. Still maintaining my weight! Once I hit my goal weight I dropped back to the lowest dose. I did try to wean off, but the "hungry" came back (NO surprise - there is a reason that obesity is a chronic disease!) So I stay at the maintenence dose and if I drift above my goal weight then I bump it up to the next lowest and pay more attention to diet and gym. Going to the gym is so much easier when you feel and look good - so it makes it easier to push yourself to look and feel even better. (Medicine can only do so much - it can help you not put IN the calories you don't need but you still have to do the work to build the muscle and tone it - but, to me, skinny and flabby is better than fat and flabby so....)

(I've heard a rumor that there are haters out there (not any of you that I know of) - and to them I would say: The fact that these medicines are in short supply is not the fault of the consumer. They manage to build enough Coca-Cola factories and MacDonald's to meet the demand. Are the people who control the supply of GLP-1 RAs the same people who own the knee and hip joint replacement factories? And to the insurance companies - so you would rather pay for cardiac bypass, gastric bypass, hemodialysis and diabetic foot amputations?)

And, YES, I am willing to be on a medication to keep me skinny for the rest of my life if needed - just like I take my SSRI and my heart medication - because the risks associated with obesity - heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, knee and hip replacement and subsequent co-morbidities - chronic kidney disease, diabetic retinopathy, heart attack and stroke are so much worse. My science fiction dreams are coming true!!!

Jane("Stepping-Off-Of-Her-Soapbox-Now")Q

Back